July 31 2019
The Rochester Institute of Technology – Kosovo Campus (RIT-K) announces the establishment of the RIT-K Research Center for Human Rights (RCHR). The RCHR will promote and advance interdisciplinary research in the field of human rights. The study and promotion of human rights is considered a valuable service to the community and a means to encourage and empower, in particular, vulnerable and marginalized groups to improve their position in society and, in general, to support rule of law and good governance in a democratic and multi-ethnic society.
The RCHR will serve as an academic platform to bring together faculty, students, researchers, policy-makers and the general public to critically discuss public policies as to their conformity with international human rights standards and to assist in designing policies which reflect and promote human rights.
The mission and purpose of the RCHR is to
- study human rights by applying an interdisciplinary perspective building on the strengths of a liberal arts education;
- promote the teaching of human rights and the widest possible public dissemination of research, studies, policy papers and other documents related to human rights;
- engage in identifying policies and other measures to promote human rights and, in particular, rights of vulnerable and marginalized groups;
- encourage student and faculty involvement in the study and promotion of human rights;
- promote inter-institutional, regional and international cooperation in the field of human rights research and advocacy;
- engage in policy advocacy to promote a human rights based policy approach and to raise awareness for such an approach among all public policy stakeholders.